It is required by your vet to perform some diagnostic tests and even physical tests on your dog that is infected with ringworm.
Your vet might get a sample of your dog’s hair or skin cell to examine its fungal culture through the ultraviolet light that is called the Woods Lamp. When it is confirmed that your dog has ringworm, then your vet will discuss the treatments for your dog.
Treating your dog with ringworm problems might undergo with the following treatments:
Your vet will recommend you to undergo your dog into this topical therapy for it moisturizes the skin, exfoliate the skin, and it will decrease the itchiness of your dog’s ringworm problem.
Some other type of topical therapy contains different medications and antiseptics, and it can also be used to treat parasite infections, fungal, and bacteria’s in your dog’s skin. Topical therapy helps your dog to minimize and clean their skin fungal and bacteria for the ringworm not to spread throughout its body.
General Guidelines on How to Use Topical Therapy Products
- You should use only one to three all size amounts of the topical products and a lot of water in it.
- You should use look warm water.
Spray your pet
- Applied with a washed cloth, and it should be wiped on the body area.
- Distract your et by feeding to allow the medication to be absorbed by the skin of your dog.
Oral therapy is often used in combination with topical therapy. Also, anti-fungal oral medications can be given if your dog has ringworm, which should be given at least six weeks, like topical therapy.
In some cases, it could take several months for anti-fungal medications to take its full effect on dogs.
Your veterinarian might also need to know if there are other pets in your house. They may also need to be tested if ever they also have ringworm. It’s true even when they don’t show symptoms of ringworm infection.
Also, pet owners should also follow the prescribed period for the medications. It does not mean that if your dog no longer shows signs of infection that they aren’t longer contagious. Your veterinarian will definitely perform retest to your dog before giving all is clear.
Spores that lives in the hair follicles of dogs will always be contagious for several months. It can survive in couches, in grooming tools, furniture, beddings, and clothing.
Here‘s how to perform environmental decontamination:
- It is required that owners should always clean this one because it is still contagious. It might be challenging for the owners, but it is for the treatment as well.
- Owners should keep their infected dogs in rooms that are easy to clean. In this way, it is easier to remove or eliminate the stray hairs, and owners should also mop floors with a disinfectant that is recommended by your vet.
- Cleaning the furniture and surrounding of the household can help you prevent the ringworm from spreading. Keeping your dog clean and make the bath for at least thrice a week can help.
Always keep in mind that the ringworm treatment towards your dog depends on the severity of the ringworm situation on your dog. Also, it depends on the number of pets that is with your dog and whether there are children or adults in your dog’s environment.
Dog having ringworms can be treated, and having ringworm can be prevented as long as the surroundings are clean and sanitized.