Chihuahuas are one of the most popular breeds in America, but what is it about them that makes people love these pint-sized pups so much?
The Chihuahua Terrier Mix is a hybrid of two breeds that share many similarities – the Chihuahua and a Terrier.
This hybrid dog is often mistaken as just another breed of chihuahua or terrier. However, it’s not quite as simple as that.
If you have been thinking about getting this breed puppy, this blog post is for you!
We will discuss what they look like and what kind of temperament they have. Also, you can read about the nutrition, grooming, price, and everything else there is to know about these lovable puppies.
Plus, you will discover the 7 facts you should know before getting one.
- Chihuahua Terrier Mix – History
- Chihuahua Terrier Mix – Characteristics & Appearance
- Chihuahua Terrier Mix – Lifespan
- Chihuahua Terrier Mix – Grooming & Care
- Chihuahua Terrier Mix – Health Issues
- Chihuahua Terrier Mix – Nutrition
- Chihuahua Terrier Mix – Training
- Chihuahua Terrier Mix – Price
- Chihuahua Terrier Mix Facts – 7 Facts You Should Know
- People Also Ask
- Final Words
Chihuahua Terrier Mix – History
Chihuahuas and Terriers both have many similarities. Both breeds were developed in very different parts of the world with very distinct purposes – for the Chihuahua, it was Mexico’s Aztec civilization, while for the terrier, it was Great Britain.
Chihuahuas were originally bred to be a lapdog with the aim of being indoor companion dogs. Meanwhile, terriers were bred for hunting and killing small vermin.
By combining these two breeds together, breeders were able to create a small yet very smart and fearless dog that possessed traits from both the Chihuahua and the Terrier.
Chihuahua Terrier Mix – Characteristics & Appearance
These dogs are not purebreds, and as such, they do not have a standard appearance that you can expect from purebreds.
They will be shaped differently depending on their parents’ genes and characteristics. However, there are some general traits that most of these dogs share:
- They are active dogs! Chihuahuas Terriers Mix’s love to play around and they can be quite energetic when in the mood.
- They are intelligent dogs but a little stubborn. As such, training can take more compared to other dog breeds (depending on the trainer/owner, of course).
- They are curious – some likes to investigate things around them, while some can be a little anxious upon seeing a new or strange object.
Terriers come in different breeds, and therefore Chihuahua Terrier Mixes can look very different from each other depending on their parents’ breed.
Some of them have a long nose like the terrier, while some have a short nose like Chihuahuas.
Their coats vary as well – they could be smooth, curly, or single coated with colors coming in all colors from black, white, tan, or a mix of all!
Known for being small dogs and are generally under 10 pounds. However, some of them can grow up to between 12-15 pounds depending on their parents’ weight. They range in height from 10-25 inches.
Chihuahua Terrier Mix – Lifespan
The Chihuahua and terriers are both strong and healthy breeds in general.
That said, their size is a huge factor in how long they will live. As such, small dog breeds tend to have shorter lifespans than dogs that are bigger in size (and weight as well).
As crossbreeds are often healthier than purebreds because of their diverse genes, they have the potential to live longer than the average small dog breed.
This means that Chihuahua Terrier Mix’s generally have an average lifespan between 14-18 years. That’s quite long compared to most breeds.
Chihuahua Terrier Mix – Grooming & Care
In general, it is a low-maintenance breed. However, there are some tips to ensure that your Chihuahuas terriers mix dog remains healthy and clean:
- Brush them regularly – Brushing their coats once a week will prevent dirt and dandruff from forming on their skin.
- Bathe them at least once or twice a month – depending on how dirty your dog gets during the day.
- Don’t bathe them too often, as it can damage the natural oils in their coats.
- Trim their nails regularly – Cutting your dog’s nails every 2-4 weeks is important, especially if they love running around on hard surfaces or you take them for walks often.
- Take care of their teeth – Cleaning your dog’s teeth is just as important as taking care of their coats and claws. You can do this by brushing their teeth regularly and giving them the right nutrition in their diet.
Chihuahua Terrier Mix – Health Issues
As mentioned before, mixed breeds are healthier than purebreds as their genes vary from one dog to the next. The genetic diversity makes it more difficult for your dog to inherit serious health conditions that are common in purebreds.
However, the risk of having these diseases is still there, so you have to be mindful of their parents’ history of ailments. Also, avoid breeding your dog if you notice any irregularities or signs of poor health during its growing years.
Breeds related to Chihuahuas and Terriers can be prone to the following ailments:
- Hip Dysplasia – Most small dog breeds like Chihuahua Terrier Mixes are vulnerable to this disease caused by loose hip joints. It can cause arthritis and lameness.
- Eye Problems – Eye problems such as cataracts, glaucoma, retinal dysplasia, and progressive retinal atrophy are common in both breeds.
- Dental Diseases – These can cause bad breath as well as tooth loss via gum disease.
Other ailments include skin diseases such as dermatitis, lupus erythematosus, patellar luxation, and heart issues such as coronary artery disease.
Chihuahua Terrier Mix – Nutrition
What you feed your dog will determine its growth and development.
In addition, the right diet ensures that your Chihuahua Terrier Mix is healthy and fit for long life. Like most small dogs, they don’t require large amounts of food. Typically they need approx 45 calories a day per pound of body weight.
However, it is particularly sensitive to large portions in their diet because they gain weight quickly.
Here are some things you need to consider when feeding your dog:
- Feed them a balanced diet – It’s always best to give your dogs fresh food – especially meat if possible. The best food for a Chihuahua and Terrier Mix always includes a protein that helps them stay active and energetic.
- If your dog has any digestive issues or allergies, you may want to choose dry kibble instead of wet food.
- Give them supplements – This is particularly useful if you can’t give your dog as much exercise as needed. You can always ask the breeder or consult a vet for some supplements that contain minerals such as calcium and iron, omega 3 (for healthy skin and coat), glucosamine (for joint support), among others.
Chihuahua Terrier Mix – Training
Training your Chihuahua Terrier Mix is much easier than you think. Although they can be a little stubborn, they are intelligent dogs that quickly understand how to behave.
Use positive reinforcement when training your dog so they will learn faster. Give them a reward whenever they follow your command.
A little patience and persistence are all you need. Remember to stay calm whenever they are disobedient and don’t shout at them because that will only confuse or scare them.
Chihuahua Terrier Mix – Price
The price can vary depending on their lineage and where you buy them from.
You will generally spend between $300 – $900.
However, you might want to spend more than the average price if the pup has some rare lineage or is purebred with papers.
Also, consider from where you are buying your dog because reputable breeders often charge higher prices since their pups are guaranteed healthy and well-trained.
If you want to adopt from a shelter, you can get them for around $50 to $250 in some cases.
Chihuahua Terrier Mix Facts – 7 Facts You Should Know
- It is not a pure breed.
- They are sometimes known as a Jack Chi for short.
- There are several colors that they can have depending on their parents. Their coat color can come in black, brown, tan, gray, and white.
- They are intelligent and eager to please, which makes training them not as hard as you may think, as long as you remain patient.
- These dogs can become very protective of their owners and homes.
- Their lifespan is about 15 years on average.
- They are great with kids, which makes them an ideal family pet.
People Also Ask
Is A Chihuahua Terrier Mix A Good Dog?
Yes, it is a great small dog because it has a unique combination of qualities found in both its parent breeds. It’s affectionate, lively, and loyal, making it a wonderful companion.
At times, they can be stubborn and hard to train, but their intelligence means they will pick up commands fast.
How Big Can A Chihuahua Terrier Mix Get?
It can get no bigger than 20 lbs. But of course, there are always exceptions, so you shouldn’t count on the average size until they actually grow up.
As a general rule, expect them to be between 10-25 inches in height and between 12-15 pounds.
Is A Chihuahua Terrier Mix Hypoallergenic?
No, Chihuahuas and Terriers are not hypoallergenic. They have a double coat that traps dander (the tiny dead skin particles from their body) which can cause an allergic reaction in people who are sensitive to it.
However, some breeds produce less saliva, which means they will shed less hair and dander, making them a better option for those with allergies.
What Is The Temperament Of A Chihuahua Terrier Mix?
The Chihuahua Terrier Mix is an intelligent dog that’s eager to please.
They are affectionate and loving but also protective of their owners, making them good watchdogs. These dogs can become very attached to their families, making them great for kids.
They are energetic and enjoy lots of outdoor activities and playtime to keep them happy.
If you want a small dog that’s loyal, intelligent, and low maintenance, then the Chihuahua Terrier Mix is a great choice for you. Remember that they can be stubborn at times, so patience, love, and persistence are needed to train them.
The temperament of these dogs means they are great as companions and ideal for families with kids. My friend has one, and her kids adore it!
A little careful grooming and a balanced diet will keep this dog happy, healthy, and good-looking.
Do you own a Chihuahua Terrier mix? What do you like the most about this breed?
1 thought on “Chihuahua Terrier Mix – Complete Breed Guide”
Yes my Chihuahua Terrier is beautiful,very energetic and quite inquisitive.She loves to eat and go for walks.Often times she enjoys sitting directly in the some.I’m eternally grateful for my precious baby.I love her so much and I’m able to take her every were.This breed is a great for single college student.