Pregnancy is a very vital and crucial part of your dog’s life. Like human’s pregnant dogs need special care and attention during this period. As much as we get excited to welcome the unborn pups, it is best to take care of the mom first.
It is with utmost importance that the mother dog stays healthy during the pregnancy period. Why? Not only that, it needs to stay fit and have a strong body, but the nutrition of the unborn pups also depends on their mother.
Taking care of your very pregnant dog starts with the food they need to eat. Aside from prescribed vitamins, your dog should get important nutrition from the food that they eat. A pregnant and lactating dog needs a huge amount of vitamins and nutrients in their body, especially that they are carrying their whelps. It is very important to keep the mother dog’s diet to be as healthy as possible.
A pregnant dog needs a special diet to ensure that she and her puppies get the right kind of nutrition to stay healthy. Here are some things that you may need to look for healthy dog food:
Rich in healthy fats
Fats are a source of concentrated calories for young dogs. Food like salmon oil and chicken fats are a healthy source of fats.
High-quality animal protein
These are food that contains amino acids. The high protein content is very important to support the dog’s mass and the muscle development of the unborn pups.
No artificial additives
Pregnant dogs should eat food that has no fillers and those which are made of natural ingredients.
Balanced and complete
Make sure that your pregnant dog gets its basic nutritional needs because the nutrients she gets will be passed to the pups.
High digestible carbohydrates
Carbohydrates are a source of energy, fiber, and essential nutrients.
If you are looking for nourishing food for pregnant dogs, this list are some of the highly recommended best food for an expecting lil fur-momma:
- High Prairie Puppy with Roasted Bison and Roasted Venison – this food is high in protein. It is made of top ingredients of this food are called protein sources which are made up of lamb meal, chicken meal, and buffalo. The second ingredients are made up of peas, sweet potatoes, and regular potatoes, which are a great source of carbohydrates to boost energy.
- Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Dog Food – this food is among the top choices because it is made up of limited ingredients that may reduce the risk of allergies to pregnant dogs. This food does not only offer healthy nutrition, but it also has a great taste that your dog will surely love. The primary ingredients of this food are natural mixed tocopherols, vitamin E, venison, sweet potatoes, flaxseed, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, taurine, dicalcium phosphate, venison, and potato protein among others. This food is suitable for all breeds.
- American Journey Lamb and Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Freeee Puppy Dry Dog Food – this food is formulated to meet the nutritional levels for reproduction and growth. It is made of high protein and is gluten-free and made of grain. It contains lean protein meat that comes from a deboned lamb that provides the needed amino acids. This food recipe has salmon oil and flaxseed for needed fatty acids. This puppy food is great for lactating mothers because it is packed with the needed vitamins and minerals.
- The Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated Organic Grain Dog Food – offers human-grade dehydrated organic dog food that is made for active dogs. It is made without any preservatives or any GMO ingredients. It is easy to prepare, and all you need to do is to add warm water and stir it. This dog food is made of organic barley, dehydrated chicken, organic oats, dehydrated potatoes, and organic flaxseed. Holistic meets the nutritional levels that are established by AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles. This product has all the nutrients and ingredients which are important to your pregnant dogs.
- ORIJEN Freeze-Dried Dog Food – this is the top quality food that is made for lactating canines. It provides the best source of protein as it contains a balanced amount of fresh whole eggs, poultry, fish, and other nutrients needed by your pregnant dog. It contains fresh and raw meat and contains botanicals, which are tonic and builders to cleanse the dog’s internal system. ORIJEN is not only a nutritional food, but it is also very tasty, so feeding is not a problem.
- Purina Beyond Natural Grain – Free Wet Dog – this food is among the best food for whelping dogs because of its carefully chosen ingredients that are poultry by-products, wheat, corn or soy, and completely devoid gluten. It is available in different flavors: Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe, Beef, Potato & Green Bean Recipe, and Chicken, Carrot and Pea recipe. This wet dog food is ideal for pregnant dogs.
- Bully Max High-Performance Dog Food – by the name itself, this food is ideal for bully breeds. It is made of a full blend of prebiotics and probiotics that support a healthy digestive tract. It is a pact of the needed vitamins and nutrients made, especially for pregnant dogs.
- Wild Calling (Canned Dog Food) – This dog food contains 96% lamb, chicken, and salmon. It has no grain, gluten, or any artificial ingredients. The main ingredients of this food are chicken, lamb, water sufficient for processing, salmon, and chicken liver. Wild Calling is canned food, and t comes with feeding instructions.
- Stella & Chewy’s Chicken Dinner Patties Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food – this dog food is made of cage-free chicken without antibiotics or hormones. This is made of 100% organic-certified fruits and vegetables. It contains complete and balanced nutrition with enhanced probiotics for healthy digestion.
- Solid Gold’s Barking at the Moon High Protein Dog Food – This dog food contains gluten-free and holistic ingredients formulated to give your pregnant dogs the nutrition it needs. This food is specially made of sourced-duck, which provides the protein. It has omega fatty acids to be able to maintain a healthy coat and skin. This food is ideal for dogs who lack protein and carbohydrates.
Your dog’s health condition during the pregnancy period is very important. The list we have are just some of the best types of dog foods available for your pregnant dog. It is best to consult your vet to ensure which dog food is best for your pregnant dog that would give her the best nutrition.
Affiliate Disclosure “*Every Creature Counts is a participant in the Amazon Affiliate Program (and other affiliate programs as identified in the products). If we mention a product from the site and link it to a third party vendor, please assume it is an affiliate link. We occasionally get a commission if you buy an Amazon product through our link and we will use this amount raised to rescue more animals from kill shelters, or to donate the amount for animals’ emergency medical needs. “