In one of my visits to my favorite pet store, I saw a couple of dogs having one of those dried fish snacks. There were so many brands piled up in that shop, and it was hard to identify which would be the tastiest for my pups.
I’ve been told that dried fish is a very good dog treat, but during that time there was no easy way to determine which are the best dried fish for dogs.
Are you having the same problem as mine? Well, you’re in luck! To sate my curiosity, I’ve researched about dried fish treats which are available out there. Combined with my own personal experience so far, I came up with this list of 10 dried fish dog treats worth buying.
Let’s get right to it!
- Best Dried Fish for Your Dogs – Top 3 Picks!
- What Are the Benefits of Dried Fish For Dogs?
- Best Dried Fish Treats for Your Dogs
- 1 – MOST VERSATILE FOR DOGS OF ALL AGES: Vital Essentials Freeze Dried Dog Treats
- 2 – FOR DOGS WHO LOVE THAT EXTRA CRUNCH: Polkadog Crunchy Cod Skins Dog Sticks
- 3 – BEST FOR PORTION FEEDING: Raw Paws Freeze Dried Minnows for Dogs
- 4 – JUST ADD WATER: MK9 Freeze Dried Salmon Dog Treats
- 5 – WIDE VARIETY OF FLAVORS FOR PICKY EATERS: Northwest Naturals Freeze Dried Nuggets Dog Food
- 6 – MUNCHIES WITH A CAUSE: Green Butterfly Brands Salmon Dog Treats
- 7 – FOR DOGS THAT NEED A BOOST IN HEART HEALTH: Better Treat – Freeze Dried Salmon Dog Treats
- 8 – FOR TREATS YOU CAN CARRY ANYWHERE: Stewart Freeze Dried Wild Salmon Dog Treats
- 9 – POWERFUL MIX WITH ADDED PROBIOTICS: Stella & Chewy’s Freeze Dried Salmon & Cod Meal Mixer
- 10 – Snif-Snax All-Natural Salmon Skin Cracklings
- Something Fishy (Or Not): Answers to Your Frequently Asked Questions
- What Dried Fish Is Good for Dogs?
- Is Air Dried Fish Good for Dogs?
- What Fish Is Best for Dogs?
- Can I Give My Dog Dried Sardines?
Best Dried Fish for Your Dogs – Top 3 Picks!
Last update on 2023-09-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What Are the Benefits of Dried Fish For Dogs?
Can dry fish be given to dogs?
As a dog owner, you want to make sure that your pup is getting the best nutrition possible. One thing that’s not always considered as an option for your dog’s diet is dried fish.
Dried fish has been used as a dog food supplement for centuries. It can be found in many different forms, including chunks and flakes.
The benefits of dried fish are similar to those of other kinds of raw meaty bones: it’s good for the teeth and gums, helps the digestive system work properly, and provides essential nutrients like protein, omega-3 fatty acids, B vitamins and minerals like calcium.
Dried fish is also an excellent source of taurine—an amino acid that aids with heart health and vision development in puppies. Taurine is essential for dogs but cannot be produced by humans; it must be obtained from animal sources such as meat, eggs or milk products like yogurt or cheese (although some people choose not to feed these foods to their pets).
Dried fish is generally low in fat which makes it easier for dogs to digest without causing indigestion or bloating issues like other high-fat foods might cause when fed on occasion only occasionally rather than daily basis
Is there any potential danger of dehydrated fish for dogs?
The short answer is yes, but it’s not something you need to worry about too much.
Dehydrated fish can be dangerous for your dog if they consume too much of it, or if they have an allergy or sensitivity to it.
If your dog consumes too much dried fish, they may also suffer from dehydration. This can lead to vomiting, lethargy, and even kidney failure. In some cases, the symptoms can be fatal if not treated immediately by a vet.
However, this is more likely to occur if your dog consumes so much dehydrated fish within a 24 hour period. If your dog eats this amount on a regular basis (as opposed to an occasional treat), we recommend that you talk with your vet about options for feeding them instead.
Best Dried Fish Treats for Your Dogs
Dried fish treats are a great way to give your dog some tasty, healthy foods. They have protein and fat, which is what dogs need to stay fit and healthy.
But not all dried fish treats are the same. Some have extra ingredients that can be harmful to your dog’s health. So I’ve researched the best brands of dried fish treats, so you can make an informed decision about what you feed your dog. Check them out below!
1 – MOST VERSATILE FOR DOGS OF ALL AGES: Vital Essentials Freeze Dried Dog Treats
These natural dog treats are made with only a few simple ingredients, with no preservatives, artificial colors, or fillers. Give this grain-free dog treats to your canine friends without worrying about any harmful ingredients.
- These dehydrated dog treats come in a portable, resealable container and are dry and lightweight.
- Can be used as rewards! Dogs need high-value rewards like these training treats to stay interested and motivated throughout training. Good dog training treats are worth a lot to a dog, and you might be surprised at what your dog learns and retains when the reward is this tasty.
- There’s a reason these freeze-dried minnows won so many awards already: they’re delicious. These tiny fish are exactly what they appear to be: all-natural dog treats with a satisfying crunch.
2 – FOR DOGS WHO LOVE THAT EXTRA CRUNCH: Polkadog Crunchy Cod Skins Dog Sticks
Polka Dog Bakery Crunch Cod Skin Dog Sticks are Alaskan-caught, hand-rolled, and dehydrated in the USA as a healthy choice for your dog. These pet treats are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, and are a great way to nourish your dog, whether he’s a puppy or an old man.
- These dog treats and cod skin sticks are made with only one ingredient, so you can feel safe about giving them to your furry companion, while he enjoys the flavor you know he’ll appreciate.
- These fish-skin cod sticks are made with a single, high-quality component, and every pup, as well as all the cats in your household, will like their crunchy texture and savory flavor.
- These treats have low fat content, and keeps their crunchiness for quite a long time.
- If you’re looking for a product for your pet who has a sensitive stomach and other conditions such as pancreatitis, these treats are safe for them to eat.
3 – BEST FOR PORTION FEEDING: Raw Paws Freeze Dried Minnows for Dogs
These authentic, freeze-dried minnows are healthy and grain-free treats for your dog, and even for your cat. The freeze-drying method used is gentle, which ensures all the beneficial nutrients and enzymes are preserved. These tasty freeze-dried snacks are guaranteed to be a hit with your dog when it’s time to indulge them.
- Feeding your pups these dried fishes has countless positive effects on your pet’s health, including improved digestion, better skin, stronger teeth and gums, and shinier coat. It also gives allergy relief, develops strong bones, promotes of heart health, and boosts the immune system.
- This is an excellent choice for pets with food sensitivities, allergies, or those on a limited ingredient diet.
- Contains zero grain, gluten, artificial flavoring, additives, or preservatives These dog treats and cod skin sticks are made with only one ingredient, so you can feel safe about giving them to your furry companion, while he enjoys the flavor you know they’ll appreciate.
- These fish-skin cod sticks are made with a single, high-quality component, and every pup, as well as all the cats in your household, will like their crunchy texture and savory flavor.
- You can serve these in portions! These tasty minnow snacks for dogs are available in 2-ounce packages, to preserve their freshness and flavor.
- You can use them as flavorful toppings for both cat and dog food.
- They are readily digested, and are quite easy to prepare and serve without the need for refrigeration.
4 – JUST ADD WATER: MK9 Freeze Dried Salmon Dog Treats
Your doggie pal will go nuts for these healthy snacks. Freeze-dried salmon is one of our pet’s absolute favorite treats. They’re delicious, so you may use these to reward good behavior, encourage better conduct, or simply make your dog’s day.
- There is more than just a dog-safe seal of approval on this salmon. Amazingly, it’s so wonderful that even humans can consume it without harm.
- This product is made of skinless, freeze-dried salmon fillets. You won’t find any fillers, gluten, grains, soy, or preservatives.
- Just by simply soaking them in water, these fillets will turn into delicious salmon steaks!
- Nature has packed these goodies to the brim with nutrients, including important fatty acids like Omega 3 and 6, minerals like potassium, magnesium, zinc, vitamins D, A, and B12, and many more.
- This product is sure to increase your pet’s vitality.
- If you are not planning to feed your pup any fish skin, you can easily peel it off from the fillet.
- Due to its freeze-dried nature, please be aware that this product can become brittle while in transit.
- Best to check with your veterinarian before giving your pups these treats, as some dogs have a reactive stomach to salmon, which could result in diarrhea.
5 – WIDE VARIETY OF FLAVORS FOR PICKY EATERS: Northwest Naturals Freeze Dried Nuggets Dog Food
Northwest Naturals Raw Rewards Freeze-Dried Nuggets are the ideal dog supper or pet treats, and are a nutritious alternative to the standard dog biscuits and snacks.
In order to keep your dog healthy and happy, you can try Northwest Naturals’ wide variety of high-quality pet foods, treats, and snacks made entirely from natural ingredients.
- Dogs, whether young or old, benefit from this supper that is rich in protein.
- These freeze-dried dog nuggets by Northwest Naturals don’t include any fillers, preservatives, or hormones.
- These chewy, flavorful, all-natural training treats and dog nuggets are sure to please even the pickiest of canine palates.
- Every puppy kibble is made from real food and is just the right size for pet training.
- These freeze-dried nuggets come in tasty flavors, such as whitefish, that your dog will go crazy for. Available in beef, beef and trout, chicken, chicken and salmon, lamb, turkey, and whitefish and salmon.
- These nuggets are perfect as toppings on any dried food.
- This product could be sensitive to shipping conditions, so I would advise that you purchase them directly from your supplier or pet stores.
6 – MUNCHIES WITH A CAUSE: Green Butterfly Brands Salmon Dog Treats
This product contains a single ingredient, which is freeze-dried salmon that was captured in the wild. Want to leave the skin on? The added flavor and nutrients from the skin are well worth it. This company is also philanthropic, as a percentage of sales proceeds will go toward “Our Military Heroes’ (Veterans)” service dog training.
- You’ll feel great knowing that you’re providing your furry friend with nutritious treats that contain essential nutrients such as Zinc, Magnesium, Vitamins A, Omega 3 and 6, Potassium, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, which promote brain health, joint health, immune system function, and healthy skin and nails.
- Made of salmon that has been tested and proven to be safe for those with food sensitivities.
- This treat is ideal for rewarding good behavior in cats and dogs of all sizes and for use in training to address behavioral issues.
- The package contains approximately 125 bite-sized snacks, in every 5 ounce resealable package.
- Even picky eaters won’t be able to resist the alluring aroma and flavor of this these treat – and the same goes for your cats.
- If you’re thinking of any ideas to give this to your pup other than the traditional pet bowl, these are great for the dog’s stocking on Christmas morning, or as a present for a new puppy or birthday, or simply as a token of appreciation for being your loyal companion.
- With great quality, you might find this product is a bit on the pricey end, if your budget allows you to, treat your pup to these amazing bites.
7 – FOR DOGS THAT NEED A BOOST IN HEART HEALTH: Better Treat – Freeze Dried Salmon Dog Treats
This product is made from salmon that has been frozen and then dried, which makes for a delicious and nutritious snack. These treats won’t make your dog’s fur or mouth oily, making them an excellent training aid, a tasty garnish, or simply a delicious treat.
- If your pet has food allergies, a sensitive stomach, diabetes, or any other special nutritional needs, these treats are perfect for them.
- The raw food diet allows for these delights because they are grain- and gluten-free. Studies have found that wild-caught salmon is in fact lower in saturated fat and free of pesticides and antibiotics.
- These treats are produced with only the highest grade salmon available, with no fillers, tricks, or other additives.
- Essential fatty acids like Omega 3, Omega 6, Magnesium, Zinc, Potassium, and Vitamins A, B12, and D may all be found in fish oil, which is abundant in salmon. Together, these minerals promote reduce shedding and better skin and fur for your pups.
- The omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in salmon have been linked to a reduced risk of hip and joint problems and improved mobility, as well as to heart health.
- These goodies are responsibly sourced and produced in an FDA-approved facility in the US.
- Freeze-drying has been found to be superior to dehydration and boiling in terms of nutrient retention, giving you the finest, healthiest treats possible.
- These treats can easily break or crumble in transit, so if you have a pet store nearby, it is best that you get your treats directly, instead of having them shipped.
8 – FOR TREATS YOU CAN CARRY ANYWHERE: Stewart Freeze Dried Wild Salmon Dog Treats
Each serving of this treat contains nothing but pure salmon, which promotes strong muscles, bones, and a lustrous coat for your pup. In order to preserve the raw flavor dogs love and to seal in nutrients, these treats are freeze-dried and maintained grain-free to prevent any allergens that could harm your dogs.
- These single-ingredient dog treats are great for canines of all ages and sizes, from puppies to seniors.
- To keep their tails wagging and their mouths watering for more, reward your dogs with these tasty and nutritious dog treats.
- These are lovingly created in small batches using only the finest ingredients, under strict quality controls.
- Your dog will love these all-natural, nutritious, protein-packed treats because of the great salmon flavor.
- These treats are so delicious and are packed in a portable, lightweight, and resealable tub, for easy carrying and for storage. You can bring this with you anywhere you go without worrying about the contents being crushed.
- These are gluten-free and are not enhanced with artificial flavorings or fillers such as corn or soy. These nutritious and delicious treats are available in four varieties: chicken liver, beef liver, wild salmon and chicken breast.
- Some dogs are known to have allergic reactions to salmon, regardless of their size or breed or age. To be sure, check with your vet first before giving these treats to your pup.
9 – POWERFUL MIX WITH ADDED PROBIOTICS: Stella & Chewy’s Freeze Dried Salmon & Cod Meal Mixer
These Meal Mixer toppings provide the protein-rich flavor dogs want, and the nourishment they need, in its most basic form. This mixer is a simple method to incorporate protein-rich meat, fiber-rich fruits and vegetables, beneficial bacteria, and protective antioxidants into your pup’s daily diet.
- The wild-caught Salmon and Cod used in the recipe is 95% fish, organs, and bone. This includes pulverized salmon and cod bones.
- The grain-free, high-quality ingredients in this product’s formulation means that it’s easy on dogs’ digestive systems, at any age.
- Stella and Chew’s Freeze-Dried Raw formula has been supplemented with fiber and probiotics to aid in digestion, taurine to promote healthy heart function, and other essential vitamins and minerals.
- This treat contains cranberries, carrots, cranberries, beets, and spinach. These are just a few of the organic fruits and vegetables packed with antioxidants, which can help keep your dog’s immune system and energy levels up.
- The omega fatty acids found in pumpkin and fenugreek seeds can help keep your dog’s skin and coat in good condition.
- It has ethically-sourced, high-quality ingredients, prepared in tiny batches to ensure high quality.
- Absolutely no potatoes, lentils, peas, or by-product mixed into this high-protein, low-carb formula.
- Since this contains probiotics, it is necessary to check with your vet to make sure that it will not have any negative effects on your pup.
This product only utilizes Scottish Atlantic Salmon that was raised in an environmentally responsible manner. These delicious cracklings are grain-free, and these snacks are a great way to supplement your dog’s diet with healthy nutrients like EPA, omega-3 fatty acid oils, fiber, and DHA.
- Helps dogs of all ages keep their coats glossy, reduces shedding and itching, and improves their heart and circulatory health.
- An ideal snack or reward for any dog’s training program.
- This product was awarded the Pet Independent Innovation Award for Best Health Food Product of 2019.
- This snack caters to dogs of all ages, breeds, and sizes.
- These are sold in small bags, which can be a little challenging if you’re used to buying bulk.
Something Fishy (Or Not): Answers to Your Frequently Asked Questions
What Dried Fish Is Good for Dogs?
There are a few different types of dried fish that you can buy at a pet store or online. Here are some things to look out for when choosing which type of dried fish to give to your dog:
• Is it preserved with salt? If so, watch out—too much salt can be bad for dogs’ kidneys!
• How long has it been sitting on the shelf? The longer something sits, the more likely it is to have gone bad—and this includes dried fish!
• Is it heat treated or freeze-dried? These methods in treating food helps make sure that it doesn’t spoil as quickly and keeps its nutrients intact.
Is Air Dried Fish Good for Dogs?
Yes. Air dried fish is actually a more nutritious option than regular meat.
Air dried fish has more protein and less fat than regular meat, which means that it is better for your dog’s health and will help them maintain a healthy weight. It also contains an abundance of omega-3 fatty acids which are vital for overall health.
What Fish Is Best for Dogs?
It depends on a lot of factors, including the health and age of your pet. Here are some factors to consider when choosing which type of fish to feed your dog:
• Does your dog have allergies? If so, you’ll want to stay away from fish that could cause an allergic reaction, like salmon.
• Is your dog young or old? If they’re older, stick with low-fat options like mackerel or sardines. If they’re younger, you can go with something higher in fat like herring or salmon.
• What’s their diet like overall? If it’s already pretty healthy and balanced, then you can get away with feeding them more fatty foods like sardines and anchovies—just not too much.
I’ve also written a post about feeding tilapia to your pups, check out my answer here to the question can dogs have tilapia. If you’re interested in adding seafood to your dog’s diet, here is a post I wrote in response to can dogs have mussels.
Can I Give My Dog Dried Sardines?
Yes. Dried sardines are often given to dogs as treats, but they’re also an essential part of some raw diets.
Dried sardines are rich in vitamins and minerals that your dog needs for proper health and development. They’re also packed with omega-3 fatty acids and protein, which help keep your pup’s coat shiny and soft.
There may be more food brands in the market today than ever before, but we have to look for the best ones to ensure our pets are being fed and cared for with the best dried fish varieties out there.
I also prefer brands that are environmentally conscious, and with different dog breeds, ages, and sizes, it’s important that our pets are eating the healthiest food around that supplement their health and wellness.
I hope you found these reviews helpful! Please keep checking in for more information on what we can best nourish our pets with, and just send in those questions anytime. Looking forward to seeing more of you here on ECC! Cheers!